Because the internet is a library, not a shopping centre.
- Astral Codex Ten is about reasoning, science, psychiatry, medicine, ethics, genetics, AI, economics and politics.
- The Intrinsic Perspective is about science, culture and humanity.
- University of Winds explores literature, culture and society weekly through three topics plus bonus links.
- Stay Grounded is a good starting point for reframing and taking control of your relationship to the internet, especially news and social media.
- Garbage Day is a deep dive into shallow culture, like being on Twitter without having to be on Twitter.
- Internal exile is a Marxist take on culture, capitalism and AI.
- Text editor: Typora. Exports almost seamlessly to .html, .doc and .pdf with the help of Pandoc. One-time payment for a lifetime license.
- Code editor: VS Code. Freeware.
- Hosting: Neocities.
- Graphic design: I use the fantastic Affinity Suite by Serif. It’s a one-time payment for a lifetime license to Publisher, Photo and Illustrator software that rivals Adobe.
- Audio editing: Audacity. Free and open-source.
- Browser: Vivaldi. Free & open-source.
- RSS reader: Inoreader — for everything I don't read on Kindle, available as an app and in browser. Free plan is plenty functional.
- Kindle parser: KTool. Where possible I try to read on Kindle rather than on a computer or phone, but the native tool for sending files/pages to the device is rubbish. KTool formats files beautifully and boasts many useful scheduling and RSS handling features. Pricing fluctuates.